This question comes from a new Windows 8 user:
I'm using Windows 8 and my attachments open at full screen. What is wrong?
Windows 8 includes default apps, such as for viewing images and videos, reading PDF files, etc. Unlike the traditional desktop applications (which are also included in Windows 8 Pro), the apps open the attachment only at full screen.
To close an attachment that opened in a Windows app, press Alt+F4.
You can switch the default program to a desktop application the first time you open an attachment.
- When the attachment opens, a dialog in the upper right corner of the screen will alert you that other programs exist that cam open the file.
- Click on the dialog to a see a list of available programs.
- Choose the desktop app. If you aren't familiar with the program names, the desktop applications usually have a multicolor icon, Windows 8's apps have a flat single color (& white) icon.
If you didn't click on the "You have new apps that can open this type of file." message when you first saw it, you can change the default app at any time from Control Panel, Default Programs or by right-clicking on a file in Windows Explorer.
To change the default application in Windows Explorer, follow these steps.
- Save the attachment to the hard drive.
- Open Windows Explorer and find the attachment you just saved.
- Right click on it and select Choose default program...
- Verify the checkbox is selected to Use this app for all [ext] files (top of the dialog)
- Select the desired application from the list. If the application you want to use is not listed, click More Options and browse to locate the application.
Published September 16, 2013. Last reviewed on September 16, 2013.