Several users wanted to know how to count the number of messages received within a period of time, usually Today. Counting the messages by hand is not a good solution as there are too many emails to manually count, plus its too slow.
- Right click on the Search folder and choose New Search folder.
- Choose Custom search folder from the bottom of the list.
- Click the Choose button.
- Click the Browse button if you want to limit the search to specific folders.
- Enter a name and click the Criteria button.
- On the General tab, select Received as the field and Today as the Condition.
- If you need to search other periods, create the filter on the Advanced tab.
Return to Outlook.
To get the message count you can either look at the status bar or set the folder properties to show the total count.
What if you don't use a version of Outlook that supports search folder? Create a custom view to show only today's mail in the Inbox and check the count in the status bar. While a custom view works in any version of Outlook, if you use rules to move mail to other folders search folders can check all folders in the data file.
Published Sept 16 2011Tip 912: Do you want to exit without sending messages?
Tip 914: Change Advanced Search 'Search subfolders' setting? » »