When I try to setup my username and password in the Facebook Social Connector, I get an invalid username or password message. The username and password are correct, I use them to log into Facebook. I uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook and the Social Connector but it didn't help.
First off, uninstalling and reinstalling rarely fixes problems. The repair option in Add and Remove Programs will do the same and is faster, although it is not a cure-all for all things wrong in Outlook, such as this problem.
Have you checked your Facebook configuration? Such as, oh, permission for 3rd party apps to access your Facebook account?
If you locked it down by editing your Privacy Settings to turn off access by applications, you won't be able to connect using the Social Connector.
To check, log into your Facebook account and check your privacy settings.
- Expand the menu beside the Home button in the upper right corner and choose Privacy Settings.
- In the Apps and Websites row, click Edit Settings to open the App, Games and Websites page.
- If you ever turned off all apps, you are blocking the Social Connector. You need to enable all apps and may need to edit the settings specific to the Social Connector.
- Click the Edit Settings button on the Apps, Games and Websites page.
- Click Edit next to the Outlook Social Connector entry (screenshot above) to check it's settings (defaults are in the screenshot at the end of this page).
The default App settings are shown below. I recommend not removing any of these permissions.
Published April 18 2012Tip 976: Resizing Photo Attachments
Tip 979: Send Meeting Responses to Another User » »