Delete an invisible message that keeps resending
If you have a problem with a message that keeps sending over and over but its not in your Outbox, its usually caused by an antivirus scanner add-in scanning outgoing messages. If the message keeps sending after you disable email scanning and its not visible in the Outbox, you can delete it from the data store by following these steps.
Note: If the message is not hidden in the Outbox, you'll need to contact your email administrator as its not Outlook that is resending the message.
1. From the Session menu, choose Logon and Display Store table
2. Next, go to MDB menu and Open Default Message store.
When a secondary account has its own message store and places the outgoing messages in its own Outbox, select that account and right click, choose Open Store.
Tip: you can right click on the account in the list and choose Open Store instead.
3. Expand Root Container
4. Expand IPM_SUBTREE
5. Right click on Outbox and choose Open Contents Table
6. In the Contents table, right click the stuck message and choose Abort Submit. Ok the dialogs.
7. Right click again and choose Delete message. Ok the dialogs.
Repeat steps 6 and 7 for any other stuck messages you may have.
Scanning mail as you send and receive is unnecessary and often results in corrupt messages. The scanner will pick up infected messages if you try to open them (which you won't do, because you know better.)
Published May 13, 2011. Last updated on October 25, 2020.