How do turn off the "peek" at the bottom of Outlook 2013? I don’t want the pop up window to pop up when i move the cursor over the Calendar, Mail, Tasks and People icons. It’s very annoying.
Sorry, you can’t disable it or change a setting so the peek only displays if you hover longer. I think it’s a little better if you don’t use the Compact navigation, but it takes up more screen space and it doesn’t eliminate the problem.
One user came up with a good solution: remove those buttons from the visible folder list and access them from the folder list flyout, using keyboard shortcuts, or add buttons to the ribbon or QAT.
- Click on the three dots and choose Navigation Options.
- Change the Maximum number of visible items to 1, so only the Mail button is visible
- When you want to switch to Calendar or People (or other folder type), click the three dots and select the module.
You can use the keyboard shortcuts or customize the QAT or ribbon and add the folder buttons to switch modules.
Customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT)
To customize the QAT:
- Go to File, Options and click Quick Access Toolbar
- In Choose Commands From, select All Commands
- Click in the list on the Left, type C
- Select Calendar and click Add (Calendar should be the first C and selected)
- Click again on the left and type D
- Browse up to find Contacts and click Add
- Click on the left pane again and type T
- Find Tasks (the first one, with the Task icon) then click Add
- Repeat for Notes and Folder List, if desired.
Published September 16, 2014. Last reviewed on September 18, 2014.